These mini pecan pies are tailored from my grandmother’s pecan pie recipe. Made with my favourite selfmade pie crust and a salted pecan filling, they’re at all times a welcome salty-sweet addition to any vacation dessert unfold.
One reader, Megan, commented: “…Adopted the recipe precisely they usually turned out nice! My 3yo helped me lower out the pie dough circles and put them within the tin, and helped me combine the filling too. Nice household baking exercise! ★★★★★”
Pecan pie is a quintessential Thanksgiving pie. Although nothing will ever beat basic apple pie or creamy pumpkin pie in my thoughts, conventional pecan pie holds a really particular place in my coronary heart. My late grandmother made it like nobody else. I launched this web site 2 weeks after her passing in 2011, and she or he stays an amazing inspiration and motivation for my work. I treasure her handwritten recipes, and it’s a real pleasure to honor her legacy via baking.
At the moment I’m taking my grandma’s timeless pecan pie recipe and giving it a bit of twist—and by little, I truly imply little. How cute are these?!
Large Issues to Love About These Mini Pecan Pies
- Not overly candy: I discover that the majority pecan pies lack a complexity of flavors. Including a contact of coarse sea salt to those mini pies makes every chew far more attention-grabbing.
- They’re lovable: I’m undecided why tiny issues are so cute, they only are! Individuals love little bite-sized pies.
- Simpler than a daily pie: If full-size pies intimidate you, it is a good pie answer. Little pecan pies are very forgiving, and this recipe lends itself to nice pie-making follow.
- No corn syrup: Merely don’t want it.
- Make-ahead recipe: These are an exquisite choice in case you’re on the lookout for a make-ahead dessert recipe, as a result of they freeze exceptionally nicely.
Tailored From My Favourite Pecan Pie
These mini pecan pies are an adaptation of my favourite pecan pie recipe. Let’s focus on what’s completely different:
- Pecan Pie Filling: Probably the most notable change is the quantity of pecan pie filling. I lowered the filling since you don’t want as a lot filling for these tiny pies as you’d for a whole 9-inch pie.
- No Corn Syrup: I discover it isn’t essential to set the filling on this miniature model.
- Nutmeg: I added nutmeg to the filling to enrich the cinnamon. This duo of spices pair completely with the toasty pecans and darkish brown sugar.
- Sprinkle of Salt: Earlier than baking, I sprinkle the pies with a bit of little bit of coarse salt to offset the sweetness and elevate the flavour profile. Style testers rave about this addition!
- Par-bake the Crusts: As a result of the bake time is so brief (solely 16–18 minutes), it’s essential par-bake (aka blind bake, pre-bake, or partially bake) the pie crust so the pies don’t get soggy.
Seize These Substances:
I’ve examined many, many pecan pie recipes, and I can confidently say that this mixture of components produces the best-tasting mini pecan pies.
Begin With the Dough
- Make pie dough. This pie crust is my go-to recipe, constituted of a mixture of butter and shortening. Shortening creates a flaky, tender, melt-in-your mouth crust, whereas butter imparts unparalleled, impeccable taste. My butter + shortening pie crust is the most effective of each worlds. If desired, you should utilize all-butter pie crust as an alternative. Make the pie dough, after which refrigerate it for a minimum of 2 hours. You are able to do this a couple of days upfront if wanted.
- Roll out pie crust dough.
- Lower dough into small circles. Lower 24 rounds utilizing a 2.75-inch (7cm) biscuit/cookie cutter. You should utilize a 3-inch cutter if that’s all you have got, which is what I take advantage of to make biscuits, however you’ll have a bit of little bit of overhang. Re-roll the dough scraps a couple of instances. Work shortly, because the dough turns into extra delicate the longer it sits at room temperature. That is precisely how I prep mini quiche and mini pumpkin pies, too, although I make these rounds a bit of bigger in comparison with these recipes, since you want a deeper crust to carry the chunky filling.
- Place the dough rounds into greased mini muffin pan. Press the dough flat into the underside of the crevice and all the way in which up the edges. Chill for a couple of minutes because the oven preheats, to set the crust’s form.
- Par-bake crusts. Simply 7 minutes, however it makes a giant distinction!
Now for the Mini Pecan Pie Filling
Combine filling components collectively, then spoon a heaping teaspoon of filling into every pre-baked mini pie crust. Sprinkle the tops with coarse salt earlier than baking.
Essential to notice: Because the mini pies bake, the filling puffs up and will spill onto the edges. That’s OK—it creates an irresistible brown-sugared crust.
Let the mini pies cool utterly within the pan earlier than serving.
FAQ: Why Do the Tops Generally Get a Frosted Look to Them?
If the tops of your mini pecan pies tackle a frosty look after baking, it’s possible as a result of the egg white frothed up when the filling components had been whisked collectively.
While you whisk collectively the components, stir very gently, not vigorously; then, swap to a spatula to fold within the pecans. (Or stir entire factor with a spoon or spatula as an alternative of a whisk.) Vigorous whisking froths up the egg white and causes the floor to crust over with a white frosted look. They’ll nonetheless style fantastic—it’s only a completely different aesthetic.
Make Them Barely Bigger in a 12-Depend Muffin Pan
If you wish to make bigger individual-sized pecan pies, you may make these in a typical 12-count muffin pan. You want a spherical cookie cutter that’s 3.75–4 inches (9.5–10cm) in diameter. (3.5 inches is just too small.) You’ll have sufficient pie dough to get about 14 crusts this dimension, however the filling solely makes sufficient to fill 10. So that you’ll have some leftover pie dough scraps, which you should utilize for pie crust designs on one other pie, or freeze to make use of one other time. See recipe Be aware for bigger mini pecan pies directions.
Extra Handheld Thanksgiving Dessert Recipes
For much more Thanksgiving dessert inspiration, see my favourite Thanksgiving pie recipes.
These mini pecan pies are made with selfmade pie crust and a scrumptious salted pecan filling. See recipe Notes for make-ahead directions, and directions for utilizing a typical 12-count muffin pan.
- Pie crust: I like to verify my pie dough is ready earlier than I start the mini pies. Make pie dough the evening earlier than as a result of it wants to relax within the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours earlier than utilizing.
- Form the mini crusts: Place the dough onto a floured work floor. Roll into a big 12-inch circle. Use your heat fingers to mould any cracking edges again collectively if wanted. From the circle, lower rounds utilizing a 2.75-inch (7cm) cookie cutter. You’ll should re-roll the dough scraps a couple of instances. Work shortly, because the dough turns into far more delicate the longer it’s at room temperature. You’ll get about 24 rounds.
- Grease a 24-count mini muffin pan. Nonstick spray is greatest. Place the dough rounds into greased muffin pan. Press the dough flat into the underside of the crevice and up the edges. Refrigerate pan for five–10 minutes because the oven preheats, which helps the mini crusts set their form.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). As soon as the dough has briefly chilled, pre-bake the crusts for 7 minutes. This enables the underside of the crust to be correctly baked and never develop into soggy from the liquidy pecan filling. Flip the oven as much as 350°F (177°C).
- For the filling: Put together the filling by melting the butter in a small bowl within the microwave or use the range. Permit to barely cool for a couple of minutes. Whisk the brown sugar, egg, vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon collectively in a medium bowl. Whisk within the melted butter, then the pecans.
- Spoon 1–2 teaspoons of the filling into every heat crust. Prime with coarse salt.
- Bake the stuffed mini pies for 16–18 minutes. Watch out to not over-bake. When you see the crust start to barely brown, the mini pies are executed.
- Permit the mini pies to chill utterly within the pan earlier than serving. (A spoon helps get them out simply.) For serving, high with a dollop of whipped cream if desired.
- Leftovers are nice for as much as 3 days; retailer lined at room temperature or within the fridge.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: The pie dough could be ready forward of time and saved within the fridge for as much as 5 days or within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Don’t put together the filling upfront as a result of the melted butter will solidify. To freeze, cool baked mini pecan pies utterly, then layer between sheets of parchment paper in a big freezer-friendly container. Freeze for as much as 3 months. Thaw at room temperature.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Rolling Pin | 2.75-inch Spherical Cookie Cutter | 24-count Mini Muffin Pan or this Mini Muffin Pan | Glass Bowls | Whisk
- Pie Crust: Each linked pie crust recipes make 2 crusts. You solely want 1 crust for this pie, so freeze the 2nd half for one more use.
- Filling Amount: This filling doesn’t match a whole pie. You’d possible have to double the components and sub in some form of liquid sweetener to maintain the filling moist. If considering baking a 9-inch pecan pie, attempt my pecan pie or maple pecan pie.
- 12-Depend Muffin Pan: As an alternative of a 24-count mini muffin pan, you should utilize a 12-count customary muffin pan to make 10 little pies. You’ll want a spherical cookie cutter that’s 3.75–4 inches (9.5–10cm) in diameter. (3.5 inches is just too small.) I used a 3.9-inch spherical, which, I do know, is such a random quantity. Near 4-inch is ideal. You’ll have sufficient pie dough to get about 12–14 crusts, however the filling solely makes sufficient to fill 10. So that you’ll have some leftover pie dough scraps, which you should utilize for pie crust designs on one other pie, or freeze to make use of one other time. Observe recipe directions above, however pre-bake the bigger mini pecan pie crusts for 10 minutes at 325ºF (163ºC). Since you aren’t utilizing pie weights, the bottoms of the crusts puff up a bit throughout the pre-bake. They need to sink again down if you take away the pre-baked crusts from the oven. Spoon a heaping Tablespoon of filling into every heat par-baked crust. Bake for 22–23 minutes at 350ºF (177ºC).
Key phrases: mini pecan pies