Let’s make dinner. The kind of dinner that warms the home with the oven, quiets the delicate with a skillet to often stir on the stovetop, and ready in simply sufficient time to have a glass of wine and empty the dishwasher whereas dinner warms and simmers. This good quiet weeknight dish is simple baked polenta with a easy burst tomato sauce. Cozy on up!
Pals, hello! It’s the time of 12 months I rediscover all of the sweaters I’ve had tucked away for a lot of the 12 months. I may barely look a protracted sleeve shirt within the face this summer time however I’ve fluffed this cutie orange sweater out of the forgotten backside dresser drawer and I lastly really feel able to one way or the other acquire the leaves which have fallen within the yard. I’ll in all probability name somebody for that tbh however, the sweater has me feeling cozy.
This week we’re bringing again what I assumed was a protracted forgotten recipe right here on Pleasure the Baker. Baked polenta with a easy tomato topping – a weblog put up recipe that dates again to 2013. A couple of months in the past I began to purge a few of the very previous, much less visited recipes on the positioning to lighten the load. I deleted the baked polenta recipe actually, with no second thought and inside every week I had SEVERAL emails in my inbox searching for the recipe.
Okay so – y’all wished that recipe! Heard. Right here’s an up to date model of this straightforward, very creamy polenta. It’s topped with a easy selfmade tomato sauce that can also be a wonderful place so as to add Italian sausage or an important place to cover any languishing veggies.
Make this cozy dinner precisely what you need it to be. It’s a largely palms off meal that’s good to set on as you’re ending the remainder of the day’s duties (in our cozy sweaters, in fact). I’ll make sure to ask you earlier than I am going deleting any extra recipes.
Listed below are the elements you’ll have to make this baked polenta dinner:
• polenta which is basically a rough cornmeal that bakes up right into a creamy porridge
• unsalted butter
• heavy cream although milk can also be an important possibility if that’s what you have got available
• parmesan cheese, shredded or grated – no matter you favor
• cherry tomatoes which all the time appear to be in season and prepare dinner right down to jammy and scrumptious
• tomato puree (not paste – that may be fairly thick)
• garlic and purple pepper flakes
• salt and pepper
• a splash of purple wine and a glass for you
• dried oregano and recent basil
Begin by buttering a sq. baking dish. Add water and stir within the polenta. Now, shimmy the entire pan to a scorching oven. The water will wish to slosh round however do your greatest to maintain it from spilling over. Set it, and overlook it. The polenta will slowly warmth and take in the water.
Whereas the polenta slowly bakes to thick, make the tomato sauce. In a scorching pan, add olive oil and complete cherry tomatoes. Let the tomatoes burst earlier than including tomato puree, a splash of purple wine, salt, pepper and oregano. It’s a quite simple sauce. If you happen to wished so as to add some Italian sausage or sautéed mushrooms, there’s a great deal of methods to bulk up the sauce particularly with any leftover veggies crying for assist in the fridge.
When the polenta has largely thickened, take away it from the oven and stir in butter, cream, and parmesan cheese. The great things as a result of fats will add taste and richness to this straightforward oven polenta. Simply look how delicate and spoonable! So dang cozy, proper?
Spoon heat tomato sauce over the delicate polenta. Prime with extra parmesan cheese, a superb grind of black pepper, and perhaps a glug of excellent olive oil. The type our Auntie Ina would use. I prefer to tear recent basil over the bowl however that’s a fanciness that doesn’t have to satisfy each bowl.
That is simply a kind of cozy weeknight dinner that additionally makes great lunch leftovers the following day.
Be effectively. Be cozy! Go away any questions and evaluations within the feedback beneath! xo
A comfy weeknight dinner that’s simply adaptable. Add veggie or meat sausage. Sprinkle with recent recent basil and revel in curled up on the sofa.
For the Polenta:
For the Tomatoes:
- Place racks within the higher third and center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 levels F.
- Grease a 9×9-inch sq. baking pan generously with butter. Gently stir water, cornmeal, and salt instantly within the greased pan. Rigorously place the pan within the center rack of the oven, hopefully with out sloshing any water out of the pan. We’ll bake the polenta for 45 minutes. Take away from the oven and stir within the butter, cream, and parmesan cheese. Bake one other quarter-hour, or till the highest is dry and doesn’t jiggle a lot.
- Whereas the polenta bakes, we’ll convey collectively the tomatoes. In a medium skillet over medium warmth add recent tomatoes (complete is ok) and olive oil. Sometimes stir the tomatoes across the pan till they start to burst over the following quarter-hour. Use a wood spoon to stir and smash the tomatoes. After the tomatoes are tender and smashed, add the garlic and purple pepper flakes and prepare dinner for one more 2 minutes or so.
- Season with a beneficiant pinch of salt. Add the tomato puree, a splash of wine (for those who’d like), and oregano. Simmer gently till the polenta comes out of the oven. A couple of minutes earlier than serving, stir in just a few recent basil leaves, torn.
- To serve, spoon polenta into shallow bowls. Spoon tomato sauce on high. Prime with extra parmesan cheese and extra basil, for those who’d like.
Key phrases: straightforward weeknight dinner, polenta, tomatoes, dinner recipe,