Rabokki, quick for “ramyeon” (Korean on the spot noodles) and “tteokbokki” (spicy rice desserts), is a beloved Korean road meals dish that mixes chewy rice desserts and ramen noodles tossed in a gochujang primarily based spicy and savory sauce. In the event you’re on the lookout for a fast and straightforward meal filled with conventional Korean flavors, rabokki is a must-try!
Rabokki is a Korean road meals that’s similar to tteokbokki. For these unfamiliar with tteokbokki, the dish consists of rice desserts and fish desserts which are served in a spicy sauce product of gochujang, gochugaru, anchovy inventory, soy sauce, and sugar. What makes rabokki totally different is the addition of ramen noodles and its numerous toppings used.
This recipe for rabokki may be very primary. No further toppings are included however I’ll record some choices beneath if you want to decorate it up.
Origins of Rabokki
Rabokki’s historical past could be traced again to the mid-Twentieth century when South Korea was going by vital social and financial modifications. After the Korean Conflict, there was a scarcity of meals, and on the spot noodles like ramyeon grew to become an reasonably priced and handy supply of sustenance. Tteokbokki, however, was already a beloved conventional dish that had been round because the Joseon Dynasty (present in 1392).
Combining the noodles with the already cherished tteokbokki provided a filling snack that was not solely tasty but in addition budget-friendly. Avenue distributors started promoting rabokki, making it successful amongst college students, employees, and anybody on the lookout for a fast and satisfying meal.
As we speak, rabokki is a cherished a part of Korean road meals tradition and will also be discovered on restaurant menus.
- Dashi inventory: You need to use dashi inventory or anchovy inventory to make this recipe. My favourite dashi powder is Kanoya Authentic Dashi Inventory Powder, which is a mixture of bonito flakes, sardines, herring, and kelp.
- Kelp (Kombu): The kelp infuses the inventory with a mineral style. It’s very gentle so you possibly can omit it for those who don’t have it readily available.
- Garlic: I like so as to add a teaspoon of minced garlic to make the dish somewhat extra pungent.
- Gochujang: Gochujang is a spicy Korean purple pepper paste typically utilized in soups and stews. It’s very smoky, salty, and pungent, and is a staple ingredient in Korean cooking. You may make it from scratch or get it on Amazon.
- Gochugaru: Gochugaru, that are Korean chili flakes, is one other important ingredient in Korean cooking. The chili flakes, known as taeyangcho or gochu flakes, are crushed and dried, and have a much less intense taste profile than gochujang. Since they don’t seem to be fermented they merely present smokiness and somewhat warmth.
- Soy Sauce: The soy sauce imparts saltiness and loads of umami.
- Sugar: A bit granulated sugar is added to steadiness the savory and salty taste of the sauce. Be at liberty to make use of honey for those who want it over sugar.
- Korean Rice Truffles (Tteokbokki Tteok): These cylindrical rice desserts are the guts of rabokki. By way of chewiness, they’re just like mochi and are additionally barely candy.
- Korean Instantaneous Ramen (Ramyeon, Ramyun): Whereas you need to use any on the spot ramen noodles you want, the spicy taste varieties work finest to enhance the general spiciness of the dish.
- Inexperienced Onions: Inexperienced onions are the traditional topping used due to their refreshing crunch and pop of coloration.
- Sesame Seeds: The sesame seeds full the dish by mellowing the robust pepper taste and imparting some nuttiness.
How To Make Rabokki
Scroll all the best way down for the complete recipe.
- Collect all your kitchen instruments and substances.
- Prep all of the substances so you possibly can observe the recipe easily.
- Start by including the dashi inventory and kelp in a medium measurement pot and bringing the inventory to a boil.
- As quickly because the inventory begins to boil, take away the kelp. You may discard it or slice it into strips and pan fry it with somewhat soy sauce (my mom’s trick since she hates to throw away meals).
- Add the garlic, gochujang, gochugaru, soy sauce, and sugar, and produce to a boil yet another time.
- Add the rice desserts and prepare dinner for 3 minutes.
- Add the ramyun noodles and sliced fish desserts and boil for an additional 2 to three minutes, till the noodles are cooked.
- Serve the rabokki in shallow bowls and high with inexperienced onions and sesame seeds. Get pleasure from!
Enjoyable and Tasty Toppings To Add
For these seeking to costume up their rabokki and layer it with much more taste, listed below are a few of the hottest toppings utilized in Korea:
- Cheese: Cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese are well-liked selections. Let the cheese soften on high and blend it into the sauce. Scrumptious!
- Eggs: Common boiled eggs or quail eggs, sliced in half.
- Dumplings: Any sort of dumplings resembling gyoza, mandu, or pot stickers.
- Kimchi: I really like the addition of kimchi for its bitter and acidic style. It makes the flavour of rabokki actually shine!
- Cabbage: Shredded or chopped cabbage is added throughout the cooking course of.
- Leeks: Chopped leeks are additionally added throughout the cooking course of so they’re tender when eaten.
- Wiener Sausages: Two or three wiener sausages can be utilized as a topping so as to add saltiness and make the dish extra filling.
- Perilla Leaves: Getting used to the style of perilla leaves could take a while because it’s very distinctive. One of the best ways I can describe the kind of perilla leaves utilized in Korean cooking (Japanese delicacies makes use of shiso leaves which is a kind of perilla leaf, however is totally different in style, measurement, and thickness) is that they’re little minty, very grassy and licorice-like.
- Nori (Toasted Seaweed): Toasted seaweed pairs fantastically with rabokki. It has a candy, mineral, and nearly nutty style, that blends completely with the flavors of this spicy rice desserts and ramen noodle dish.
How To Serve Rabokki
Rabokki must be served in particular person bowls so that individuals can add their very own favourite toppings. It’s finest eaten straight away when the dish is sizzling and the substances are the proper texture. If you need to make rabokki forward of time, I like to recommend making the whole dish minus the the fish desserts and ramyun noodles.
That’s as a result of each the fish desserts and ramyun noodles will take in the broth and develop rather a lot, leading to a mushy mess you gained’t need to eat!
You may add the fish desserts and noodles when you find yourself warming up the dish, proper earlier than consuming it.
You may management the spice stage by adjusting the quantity of gochujang. Many of the warmth comes from this fiery purple paste so in case you are somebody like me, who prefers low to medium warmth, begin by utilizing much less gochujang. Do a style take a look at and add extra till you’re glad with the spice stage.
Cooking time is essential for this dish! Control the feel of the noodles. My recipe recommends boiling the noodles for two to three minutes however it actually is dependent upon the kind of noodles you’re utilizing. Some contemporary ramen noodles take lower than a minute to prepare dinner whereas different thicker noodles take a minute longer. Style them each 30 seconds or so to get the proper texture.
It’s also possible to modify the general style of rabokki primarily based in your private preferences. Add extra soy sauce for an additional umami kick, extra sugar (you too can use honey) for a sweeter style, and a touch of fish sauce for further saltiness and a stronger fermented style.
Lastly, take into account that every garnish will add further taste to the dish. Cheese will make your bowl of rabokki creamy and fewer aggressive in style, kimchi will make it saltier and vinegary, dumplings and sausages will add a meaty aspect, and perilla leaves will loosen up the dish with its refreshing grassy and anise-like style.
What To Serve With Rabokki
Listed below are different well-liked Korean dishes to pair with this road meals favourite:
Did you want this rabokki recipe? Are there modifications you made within the kitchen that you just want to share? Share your ideas and proposals within the feedback part beneath!
Rabokki (Tteokbokki with Ramen)
Rabokki is a beloved Korean road meals dish that mixes chewy rice desserts and ramen noodles tossed in a gochujang primarily based spicy and savory sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Prepare dinner Time: 10 minutes
- Whole Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Class: Noodles
- Methodology: Boiling
- Delicacies: Korean
- 3 1/2 cups dashi inventory, anchovy inventory, or water
- 1 3-inch lengthy and 2-inch vast piece of kelp (non-obligatory)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons gochujang
- 1 /2 teaspoon gochugaru
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 12 items Korean rice desserts (tteokbokki tteok)
- 1 bundle Korean on the spot ramen like Nongshim ramyun
- 2 sheets Korean fish desserts, sliced into strips
- 2 inexperienced onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Add the dashi inventory and kelp in a pot over medium excessive warmth, and produce to a boil. When the water is boiling, take away the kelp instantly (you possibly can discard it or reserve it to make seasoned kombu later).
- Add the garlic, gochujang, gochugaru, soy sauce, sugar, and stir to mix.
- Deliver the broth to a boil and when it’s boiling, add the rice desserts and prepare dinner for 3 minutes.
- Add the ramen noodles and fish desserts and prepare dinner for two to three minutes, till the noodles are cooked.
- Flip the warmth off and divide the rabokki into two bowls. High with inexperienced onions and sesame seeds and serve instantly.
Make forward of time:
Maintain off on the fish desserts and ramen noodles in case you are planning to make this forward of time. Comply with the recipe as is however solely add the fish desserts and ramen noodles proper earlier than you’re able to eat the rabokki. You can also make the remainder forward of time, for as much as a day.
Leftovers: Sadly, rabokki doesn’t make good leftover meals as a result of the ramen noodles and fish desserts will get mushy and develop in measurement. I like to recommend eradicating them and maintaining the remainder in an hermetic storage container. It should maintain for as much as 2 days.
- Serving Dimension: 1 serving
- Energy: 540
- Sugar: 20.6g
- Sodium: 3300mg
- Fats: 10.6g
- Saturated Fats: 3.4g
- Unsaturated Fats: 1.3g
- Trans Fats: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 92.4g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 7.3g
- Ldl cholesterol: 12.5mg