If daring, crispy, chewy, garlicky goodness is your factor, give this Korean chive pancake a strive! Garlic chives make the proper filling for this iconic plant based mostly Korean aspect dish. Serve it with a easy 4 ingredient dipping sauce that punches method above its weight class!
What’s a Korean Chive Pancake?
Buchujeon are savory Korean garlic chive pancakes, pan fried till golden brown. The batter is gentle, ethereal and tremendous satisfyingly crispy / chewy – and the flavour manages to be each mildly garlicky and zingy on the identical time.
Garlic chive pancakes are generally served in Korea as a aspect dish (banchan) or as a snack, alongside a daring, savory dipping sauce.
What are Garlic Chives?
Garlic chives come from the identical allium household that features garlic, onion and leeks. They’ve lengthy, skinny, flat inexperienced leaves and an fragrant gentle garlic style that’s a lot much less pungent than precise garlic cloves. Nonetheless, they’re completely different from chives which have hole, cylindrical leaves and a extra grassy, oniony taste.
Korean Chive Pancake Components
- Korean Pancake Combine or All-Function Flour: Use one or the opposite. Some Korean pancake mixtures have added substances like garlic powder, pepper, sugar, and many others. However I’ve discovered the flavour of the completed buchujeon to be comparable with each pancake combine and plain all function flour. So, your selection.
- Cornstarch: You’ll solely want 1/2 tablespoon within the batter. Cornstarch contributes to the general crispy exterior texture.
- Chilly Water: Once I say chilly, I imply frigid. And that is for 2 causes. Ice chilly water binds substances within the chive batter higher than heat water – and it inhibits the formation of an excessive amount of gluten (which may end up in chewy pancakes). But additionally, the sudden temperature change when the chilly batter hits the recent pan leads to crispier pancakes. Science!
- Garlic Chives: These are mildly garlicky and oniony in one of the simplest ways. Slice a bunch (about 3 ounces) one time in half crosswise (in the course of the bunch).
- Garlic Cloves: Mince 2 cloves finely for somewhat added sharp pungency.
- Salt and Pepper: No have to get fancy right here. Use what you’ve acquired helpful. Though I undoubtedly choose kosher salt when cooking – because it’s much less overtly salty than equal quantities of normal desk salt.
- Cooking Oil: Use any impartial cooking oil you’ve gotten in your pantry. I like utilizing grapeseed oil – though vegetable oil works simply as nicely. Nonetheless, olive oil – with it’s assertive pure flavors and low smoke-point – is improper for this Korean chive pancake recipe.
Components for the Dipping Sauce
- Soy Sauce: 2 tbsp soy sauce is the primary supply of savory and earthy umami on this chive pancake dipping sauce.
- Rice Vinegar: Rice vinegar is mildly tart, with a touch of light sweetness across the edges. It blunts the extra assertive notes from the soy sauce and rounds out the flavour profile so properly. Seize rice vinegar on Amazon.
- Sugar: I’m utilizing 1 tsp sugar. It enhances the sweetness with out taking it into cloying territory. For those who choose kind of sweetness, add the sugar final and stir in slowly, tasting as you go, till you discover the correct degree.
- Sesame Oil: This has an intensely nutty and fragrant taste with a roasted aroma. It provides unreal depth and complexity to this straightforward 4 ingredient dipping sauce. And somewhat goes a good distance. I’m solely utilizing 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil.
To make the buchujeon dipping sauce, merely whisk the substances collectively in a small bowl till the sugar has fully dissolved – and also you’re good to go!
Find out how to Make Buchujeon
- Collect your entire cooking instruments and substances.
- Combine the Korean pancake combine (or all-purpose flour), cornstarch and ice chilly water in a big bowl till it’s clean.
- Add the garlic chives, minced garlic, salt and pepper – and blend once more till the garlic chives are lined in batter.
- Place a big skillet or frying pan over medium warmth. As soon as the pan is sizzling, add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil. Swril the oil across the pan till the cooking floor is evenly coated.
- Then ladle a few quarter of the combination out and add it to the pan.
- Rapidly unfold the combination out by shifting the pan back and forth. Alternatively, you possibly can gently unfold it round with the underside of the ladle or a spatula.
- Prepare dinner for round 3 to 4 minutes – till the aspect dealing with up begins to set. Then flip the pancake and prepare dinner till each side are golden brown.
- Subsequent, switch the Korean chive pancake to a plate, and repeat the method (3x) with the remaining pancake batter. For those who want a bit extra oil, remember to reapply between pancakes.
- Lastly, minimize every pancake into quarters (or smaller when you choose). Serve instantly with the dipping sauce.
What to Serve With Korean Garlic Chive Pancakes
Once I serve these chive pancakes, it’s normally as an appetizer or aspect dish served alongside different Korean banchan. However buchujeon is substantive sufficient to be the only real aspect dish to a hearty Korean meal as nicely. So right here are some things that pair completely.
And Examine Out These Different Scrumptious and Simple Asian Pancake Recipes
Find out how to Retailer Leftovers
Refrigerate any leftover Korean chive pancakes in an hermetic meals storage container for as much as 3 days. If stacking a number of pancakes, place a paper towel between them to maintain them from sticking collectively.
Tips about reheating:
- For the very best (crispy) outcomes, use a non-stick skillet on the stovetop – not the microwave. Except the skillet you’re utilizing is tremendous previous, you shouldn’t want any oil to reheat in any respect.
- Get the pan going over medium to medium excessive warmth – and add your chive pancake slices.
- Prepare dinner on all sides for a minute or two, till sizzling and crispy.
Did you want this Korean chive pancake recipe? Are there adjustments you made that you simply want to share? Share your ideas and proposals within the feedback part beneath!
Korean Chive Pancake (Buchujeon)
Daring, crispy, chewy and garlicky, this Korean chive pancake requires garlic chives as a plant-based filling. Serve this iconic Korean aspect dish with a easy but punchy 4 ingredient dipping sauce.
- Prep Time: quarter-hour
- Prepare dinner Time: 25 minutes
- Whole Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: About 4 pancakes 1x
- Class: Appetizer
- Technique: Pan frying
- Delicacies: Korean
- Food regimen: Vegan
- 1 cup Korean pancake combine or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup ice chilly water
- 3 ounces garlic chives, minimize in half crosswise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper, to style
- 2 to 3 tablespoons impartial oil corresponding to vegetable oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons plain rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- Combine the pancake combine, cornstarch, and water in a bowl, till clean.
- Add the garlic chives, garlic, salt and pepper, and blend.
- Place a big skillet over medium warmth and when the pan is sizzling, add 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Swirl the oil across the pan to evenly coat the floor. Ladle up a few quarter of the combination and add it to the pan.
- Rapidly unfold the combination by shifting the pan back and forth, or by gently spreading it with the again of the ladle, to kind a spherical pancake [square or rectangular works too].
- Prepare dinner for 3 to 4 minutes, till a part of the highest is cooked, and flip the pancake. Prepare dinner till elements of the pancake are golden brown.
- Switch to a plate and repeat the identical course of 3 extra instances (chances are you’ll have to coat the pan with somewhat extra oil, wherein case, the remaining 1 tablespoon can be utilized).
- Lower every pancake into quarters or smaller items when you choose, and serve with dipping sauce.
Retailer the leftover buchujeon in an hermetic storage container and refrigerate for as much as 3 days.
To reheat the slices, place a non stick skillet over medium warmth and add the slices as soon as the skillet is sizzling. Prepare dinner for two to three minutes and serve. You shouldn’t have so as to add any oil to the skillet, until the skillet you might be utilizing may be very previous (add just a bit – one teaspoon of oil ought to be sufficient).
- Serving Dimension: 1 pancake
- Energy: 185
- Sugar: 0.5g
- Sodium: 4mg
- Fats: 7.3g
- Saturated Fats: 5.6g
- Unsaturated Fats: 0.3g
- Trans Fats: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 26.2g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 4g
- Ldl cholesterol: 0mg