This web site might comprise affiliate hyperlinks and promoting in order that we will present recipes to you. Learn my disclosure coverage.
Tender, buttery, and easy-to-make, my Grandma’s good pie crust is every thing you want this Thanksgiving. It’s so foolproof, you gained’t use store-bought ever once more!
Irrespective of the pie you need, this crust will make it shine. Chocolate, peach, and apple pies are a few of my favorites on the weblog. They’re all insanely good, I extremely advocate you place them within the Thanksgiving pie lineup this 12 months!
A Reader’s Overview
“Thanks for posting Grandma’s Excellent Pie Crust recipe! I’ve tried dozens of recipes however might by no means get the crust to remain collectively. It makes me blissful to have the ability to make a great pie crust that not solely stays collectively however tastes incredible!!!”
Tremendous Simple Selfmade Pie Crust Recipe
My grandma knew the best way to make the very best pies yearly for Thanksgiving. Apart from the completely divine fillings, the crusts she made had been all the time tender and flaky! Yearly we’d stay up for going to my Grandma’s for Thanksgiving. She was the BEST prepare dinner. She raised 8 youngsters and had a home-cooked meal on the desk for them every evening. The whole lot she made was from scratch. Rising up, I keep in mind staying just a few weeks in the summertime together with her and he or she was all the time baking bread or a batch of peanut butter cookies. As quickly as the nice and cozy bread got here out of the oven she would slice it up and we might eat a complete loaf. You’ll find that recipe right here and take part on the deliciousness!
However actually, the very best half about Thanksgiving was her pies. You couldn’t wait to complete the meal to have a slice of her cherry pie. In all honesty, I’ve but to attempt a greater pie. She would make all of them herself and also you couldn’t get sufficient! Her crusts had been tender and excellent. In my view the very best! Typically making any sort of dough from scratch can appear intimidating, however right this moment I’m going to indicate you ways straightforward it’s! The crust comes collectively in only a matter of minutes and also you in all probability have already got the entire substances readily available. Belief me, it’s going to reinforce any pie you make! If any recipe is a staple, it’s this one! I’ve included a printable graphic to have readily available for all your baking wants. Let’s preserve the custom going!
Substances to Make a Pie Crust from Scratch
Simplicity is vital! The very best pies begin out with a flaky, golden crust with no frills. This pie crust will deliver your complete pie along with simply pantry staples! Measurements could be discovered within the printable graphic or recipe card on the finish of the put up.
- All-Objective Flour: All-purpose flour works nice for reaching a mushy, flaky crust. It doesn’t have a excessive protein content material, so it should preserve the construction good and lightweight. You may also use a low-protein pastry flour.
- Salt: You want a little bit salt to reinforce the general taste.
- Shortening: That is wanted for fats content material. You may also substitute it with butter, margarine, and even coconut oil!
- Chilly Water: That is used to moisten the dough. Remember to preserve it chilly! Cooler temperatures is the key to a pleasant and flaky pie crust.
Find out how to Make the Excellent Pie Crust
Making a stable pie crust isn’t tough in any respect. All you want is a little bit love and a spotlight to element! You’re going to like it. It’s higher than something you will get from the shop!
- Combine Dry Substances and Shortening: In a medium bowl, stir collectively flour and salt. With a pastry blender, reduce in shortening until pea-sized.
- Moisten: Subsequent, we add some chilly water. Sprinkle water on high one tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork. Push moistened dough to the facet. Combine till all flour is moistened. Don’t combine an excessive amount of or your crust will probably be laborious.
- Form and Roll Out: Kind right into a ball and roll out on floured floor. Flip and flour dough just a few occasions until its the scale you want. It’s now prepared for all your favourite fillings! In case you are utilizing this for a cream pie, try this How To Blind Bake a Pie Crust put up on the best way to prepare dinner the crust first.
Suggestions and Tips
Making a pie crust from scratch is each tasty and spectacular! Listed here are just a few easy ideas and methods to make your crust bakery-worthy. You’re going to like the way it seems!
- Use Chilled Substances: The key to a flaky crust is to make use of refrigerated substances. Heat substances could make your dough powerful and dense.
- Don’t Overmix: As with different selfmade pastries, don’t overwork your dough. It could actually trigger gluten to develop and make your crust chewy and laborious. You solely need to combine your dough till it sticks collectively, and you can begin shaping it right into a ball.
- Add Water as You Go: Add an excessive amount of water, and your dough could be laborious to salvage. Add too little water, and it is going to be dry and crack. To keep away from these extremes, add a little bit little bit of water at a time and blend gently till you have got reached your required consistency.
- Use a Meals Processor: As a substitute of utilizing a pastry blender to chop substances collectively, you’ll be able to pop your combination in a meals processor and mix for brief intervals. As soon as it’s blended easily, you’ll be able to take away it and start including water to moisten it.
- Including Flavors: One tip that’s usually missed is you could taste your dough! Whether or not or not it’s a touch of pumpkin spice, contemporary herbs, lemon zest, vanilla, almond extract, or sugar and cocoa powder, it could actually take your pie up a notch! You’ve bought a flavorful filling- why not add taste to your crust, too?
Make it Forward of Time
You possibly can simply retailer your pie crust and use it later in the event you’re not able to bake! It will likely be simply as flaky and scrumptious because the day you ready it!
- Within the Fridge: Wrap a ball of raw dough in plastic wrap and retailer it in an hermetic container. It should keep good for as much as 3 days. Let it come to room temperature earlier than rolling out, or it could crack.
- Within the Freezer: Pie crusts are nice for freezing and utilizing later. I like to recommend shaping your dough right into a pie pan earlier than freezing. This manner, you don’t have to thaw it, and it could go straight into the oven. If you happen to’ve frozen a ball of dough, permit it to thaw in a single day after which come to room temperature earlier than rolling out. Each formed crusts and balls of dough should be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap earlier than freezing.
Pin this now to seek out it later
In a medium bowl stir collectively flour and salt. With a pastry blender reduce in shortening until pea-sized.
Sprinkle water on one tablespoon at a time tossing with a fork. Push moistened dough to the facet. Combine until all flour is moistened. Do not combine an excessive amount of or the crust will probably be laborious.
Kind right into a ball and roll out on the floured floor. Flip and flour the dough just a few occasions until it is the scale you want.
Initially Posted on October 10, 2015
To double the crust:
add 1 extra cup flour
1 extra 1/2 t salt
Double the shortening
Double the chilly water
Energy: 147kcalCarbohydrates: 15gProtein: 2gFats: 9gSaturated Fats: 2gSodium: 73mgPotassium: 21mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gCalcium: 3mgIron: 1mg
Vitamin info is robotically calculated, so ought to solely be used as an approximation.